Saturday 17 May 2008

Knit update: Japanese shawl, GGH and Lorna's Laces yarn and other FOs

Finally, I find time to take pics of what I've been knitting/crocheting of late.

First up is the Japanese crocheted shawl I've been talking about. I have been using this pattern with various yarns and then frogging the whole thing and reusing the yarn for something else. I finally decided on stripes of these colours together instead of just one colour.



I am using Capri from GGH in Mint and Deep Lavender and have incorporated the grey Debbie Bliss Merino Aran I got from Shrewsbury 2 years ago. The GGH yarn were part of my recent purchase from Jimmy Beans Wool, along with the Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport yarn shown below in Envy.


Isn't this gorgeous!? I've decided to knit the whole thing in a stockingnette stitch. I CO 80 stitches on 4mm circular needles I bought from Lilly Handicraft in Sg Wang, did 8 rows in garter stitch (ending with WS) and started the stockingnette stitch. Since I bought 5 skeins of this yarn, there shd be enough for a decent-length shawl.

A couple of days ago, I thought about making the shawl a bit wider. Have decided that I need more yarn and that the yarn I bought for Ellie's scarf was the perfect size and texture to complement this. So, I need to find time to go to Sg Wang to buy matching yarn... I'll most likely get a light brownish tone yarn and will knit 2 thinner strips in the same pattern (CO 50 stitches instead of 80) and stitch it all up when I'm done.

Am looking forward to finishing this one...


Next up is my long delayed WIP - my lilac top. I've finished the back portion and now need to work on the front before I go back to Lilly Handicraft for more instructions. My first garment.. *so proud*.


Next, this scarf/shrug was finished long long ago but I never bothered to take a picture of it. I was pretty upset with how it turned out as a shrug (I didn't follow a pattern and made up as I went along, you see), so I just chucked it in a corner.

Then I realised that it looks much better as short scarf.

Yarn: Sirdar BLUR with Kid Mohair. Bought in John Lewis, Oxford St last September.
Pattern: my own "creation"


Finally, here is a pic of my first ever knitted item, a scarf of course since it's the easiest. I used it as a shawl the other day while watching Narnia. I remember I got the gauge totally off and had to run off to John Lewis to buy more yarn because I made it too wide. A really great scarf for cold winter

1 comments:

Priscilla said...

Oooooh the shawl looks great!!! Very nice colours - I'm looking at a couple of kimono that I think will go quite well with it :P

Now I see what you meant about the sock wool thing that self-stripes. Wow, it sure is pretty!! ^___^