Wednesday 28 May 2008

Diet and exercise - Doctor's orders

Went to get my medical check up done on Saturday. Blood test results are back and...... (drum roll)...

My cholesterol level is still high (for all three, HDL, LDL and triglycerides - is that how you spell it?). In fact, it's gone higher. So what's new.. *pah*...

Pa and I went back to the Tmn Desa Medical centre this morning cos I needed to get a few more tests done.

Got a nice lecture from the nurses and the doctor about exercising and losing weight. The GP even said I have to watch out for risks of getting a stroke soon... That's the second doctor to tell me so.. The first being my GP back in London.

I haven't even gone to see Dr Ng, our family cardiologist yet! I daren't go because I know what he'll say. But have tentatively made an appointment to see him with Pa next week.

Pa has decided to put me on a diet. But first, he fed me fish head noodles soup and kaya toast for breakfast (we went to the coffee shop next to the Old Klang Rd BHP Station). Muahaha.. so much for discipline. Lunch was more controlled. Steamed corn and sweet potato. And a glass of carrot with red apple juice. Then for dinner, we're going to the tea house in Kuchai because we should eat something steamed, without fancy sauces and healthy. We'll see how healthy that is!

Shen, I cant remember if I've told you but Pa has given us the ultimatum. We have to lose weight by August cos he wants to go take a family portrait by then. But when you guys come back in July, we'll be pigging out like there's no tomorrow so I dont know how a diet regime is going to fit in!

Anyway, I found some pics from our Japan trip in 2004. Look what 4 years has done to us! (And Fatteh too... Lucky for him, he's lost the weight and gained in height.)

First, here's a picture of me in Glover Gardens, Nagasaki... eating a very nice strawberry soft cream on a stick (I still remember it.. yummm)


Here we are... eating again! Still along the streets near Glover Garden, buying more soft cream and steamed mantou with braised pork filling. (How much soft cream did we eat during the whole trip? I lost count..)


Picture perfect!



And lastly, the super yummy sausage at one of the rest stops on the way to Mount Fuji! It was so good that we went back for seconds

3 comments:

Priscilla said...

O_O August. Okay, from now on, I starve myself more and go jogging more often. Gotta make more soups then... I can't cut much of anything out of my diet cos I already eat less meat (try two to three portions a week) and I've cut my carbs by half. Maybe I should cut it in half again? One of my friends told me that if I eat any less, I'd be lacking in everything but veggies n fruit (unless I cut that out too). Maybe I should bake less... But even when I do bake, I don't eat all that much of it! *sighs* Yeah, I'll just go jogging more often once exams are over.

Priscilla said...

I was looking through those pictures over and over and over again, and have finally decided that all my life, my bum and thighs have always been humongous. ;_; Well.. If I can just lose weight around my waist (I want to lose 5 inches!!) and get rid of my tummy, I'd be happy. And hopefully lose at least 1 more inch of my hips along the way...

Danielle Bumblebee said...

gosh i didn't know u had high cholesterol :( it's so common now, my coworker just started on a fruit-n-nuts-only-lunch diet cause he too found out he had high cholesterol.. but he did lose 10lbs in 8 weeks though! hope u get better.. the ice cream from japan looks pretty damn appealing.. i can't wait to travel around asia...