Wednesday 1 July 2009

Piggin' Out: Restoran Homey, Kuchai

Restaurant: Homey Seafood Shop
Address: No. 8, Jalan Kuchai Maju 8, Kuchai Dynasty 3, Off Kuchai Lama, 58200 KL.
Tel: +6012 311 5112 / +6016 626 1614
Business hours: 11am-3pm, 6pm-11pm. (Closed on alternate Wednesdays)

I have been keeping a secret for a long time and have been selfishly reluctant to share it. But, for the sake of good crabs, I reveal it to you today.

This is my family's favourite place to eat crabs, the first place chosen by my siblings for their homecoming feast (i.e. their first meal once they arrive home from the UK). We'd actually gone there last Wednesday the moment they arrived home, only to find it closed. We had dinner at another pretty good restaurant in Happy Garden (which I shall take pictures of and blog about another time).

So anyway, the "crab" dinner was postponed to last night.

First we gobbled up the kacang because we were starving...


And had fresh coconuts to quench our thirst....


First to arrive were the veggies - stir fried yau mak (romaine lettuce) with fu yue (fermented bean curd). One of my favourite veggies and a staple in my London diet since I could easily get romaine lettuce from Tesco.


Next was the Hokkien fried meehoon. My mom's favourite. Laden with pork lard. Yummm..


A new dish here at Homey is the Japanese snails. We had it stir fried kung po style last night. The shop has a box outfront where they rear the snails. Last night's batch were big and juicy.. The sauce was a bit sweet so I told the owner about it.


My sister's request was for the "lala soup" - clams in rice wine broth.


My dad defrosted the last fish head we have at home and brought it here for them to cook it. And cook it well they did. This is a parrot fish or sau nga yue in Cantonese. My favourite fish! Again, the sauce was a bit on the sweet side, to which the owner said that it could be due to the premium soya sauce that they've used. They've taken note of our comment though so hopefully it wont be so sweet the next time.


By the time the crabs arrived, I was already too full. But, of course we still continued chomping away since it was so good.


The best combination: Chilli crabs and deep fried mantou.

There... my secret's out. My favourite place for crabs for the past 11 years. They were our tenants at our Kuchai shoplot down the road and went under the name Restoran Tian Tian Hot Wok Food for just under 10 years.

Last year, the partners parted ways (which I had blogged about here) and so the chef and his bunch set up shop here. We were so happy to find that they reopened and have loyally followed them here.

Here's to more crabby feasts!

3 comments:

danielle bumblebee said...

how's bali? where'd u go? update! :)

Petrina said...

Update in next post!! :)

ClumSy Chic said...

This 1 is nice!! Shud try it out since nearby me^^ Very nice blog u have~~