Monday 7 April 2008

Recipe: Blueberry muffins

Here you go, Shen... Here's the blueberry muffin recipe you asked for. Oh guess what! I think I've found Bisquick in Bangsar Village. But I didn't buy it though. Next time..

Btw, I'm feeling irritable. And annoyed. It could be due to the headache I've been having since this morning. Or multiple sneezing fits I've been getting into. Or the scratchy cough that also sends me into wheezing fits.

Yup I'm sick. But will try to sleep it off and make it to the office tmrw. We'll see how I feel when I wake up. I blame my colleague Gerald cos he got sick first! :p

Blueberry muffins:

Ingredients:
125g caster sugar (although I reduce this to 100g if making for my dad since he doesn't like it too sweet)
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
265g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 lightly beaten eggs
225ml milk (I either use half milk, half water or just substitute the milk with water because I find the muffins are too dense if milk is used. This is also based on feedback from my tasters - the colleagues.)
115g unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla essence
225g fresh or thawed frozen blueberries (can be replaced with blackberries, raspberries or quartered strawberries)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 200'C.

In one bowl, stir the sugar, lemon zest, flour and baking powder with a spoon.

In a larger mixing bowl, beat the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla with an electric whisk until smooth. (Now, I never used a mixer simply cos I dont have a proper one. It's a great way to destress though so I don't mind. It's good to be slightly ambidextrous too so I can use my right hand when the left gets tired.)

Add the dry ingredients and stir until the blueberries are just combined. Spoon the batter into 12 muffin cases or into a greased muffin tin.

Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove tin from oven and cool for 5 minutes. (Lesson: I once left the muffins in the tin for about 10 minutes which was a mistake because they ended up being too soggy. I'd advice to remove the muffins as soon as the temperature cools a little.)

0 comments: