Wednesday 6 February 2008

Gong Hei Fatt Choy!!

It's Chinese New Year eve today. The office is quiet, the roads of KL are quiet, in fact, the whole city seems to be quiet. I read somewhere last week that almost 60% of KL's population is Chinese. That explains it..

Traditionally, CNY eve is the big reunion dinner day. Everyone goes home to their ancestral home for dinner. In accordance to that, and following the other tradition that the wife cannot go home but must instead go to her husband's side, we are going back to my dad's hometown for dinner tonight. Cant wait! My aunt cooks bloody well and I always end up over-eating while there!

My dad's hometown is Rawang, which is about an hour's drive from KL so we can just come home after dinner. No major travelling necessary like what we've been seeing on the news about China. *phew*

Tomorrow, I'm not too sure what the plans are but we usually go to my mom's eldest sister's home to spend time with her side of the family and of course, the all important activity during CNY, GAMBLE!!!

Gambling truly is part of Chinese culture. From a very young age, we are all taught to at least play Black Jack. Most of us can play Chor Tai Di (similar to poker) and Ginrami as well. From my youngest cousin to my eldest aunt, everyone gathers round for Black Jack. When all you need to do really is count your cards and pray it adds up to 21, you dont need much skill. Just a lot of good luck and good humour.

If I remember correctly, we are having another gathering for my mom's side on Saturday. This time it'll be at my home.

These are times I missed when I was studying in England. I wasn't home to celebrate the New Year for 5 years. My sister and brother who are now in England would be missing home too I believe (at least my sister I know will be. Not sure about the brother.). Dont worry! I'll collect all your angpao for you! Hahaha..

Speaking of my sis, I got your package yesterday Shen! She sent me a book on Borough market to torture me... along with my dad's birthday card and a CD. I miss Borough market.. I miss the scallops and the chorizo sausages and the burgers and the brownies and the cheese and the cider you only get in winter.... I also miss just being in the market, just taking it all in, people-watching... Ah well, hopefully I get to go back to London in July.. :D

Okay that's it from me. Gong Hei Fatt Choy to all!

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

NOOOOOOOO I DON'T GET TO EAT RAWANG FOOOOOD!!!!!!! *sobs* I miss Rawang food :'(

On the other hand... YAY Borough Market! Didja likey da booook? Didja show it to Pa? Mmmmmm I didn't read it (only looked at the pics) before I sent it so I've no idea what the recipes are like. I remember one of the fish ones looked really good though! Hehehe...

Gong Hei Fatt Choi!!!

Petrina said...

Gong Hei Fatt Choy to you too!

Yes you missed Rawang food. But this year, we decided that the aunty who always cooks the food.. yea her cooking this year kinda jatuh standard. We also had New Year lunch at Tai Gu's house and it was GOOD. We had my fav - pork innards soup with loads of pepper.

Yes I also showed the Borough market book to Aunty Annie and Aunty Mag.. Pa saw it the day it arrived!

I took pics of the yee sang and dinner and lunch and gambling and everything. Also took pics of the kitchen etc. Will post soon. House internet a bit wonky.

Gnite!