Saturday 30 August 2008

Petrina + Phuket = Bad luck

I was supposed to be on a flight to Phuket to join my family who went yesterday. Long story on why they planned to go on Friday and back on Sunday when Monday's the public holiday. But I was really upset with my dad because it's his office trip and the office staff planned it. He's already gotten an earful from me for this. I mean, talk about really dumb travel planning.

So anyway, I was supposed to take the 7.25am AirAsia flight this morning to join them. Then the protests in Bangkok and Southern Thailand close the Phuket, Krabi and Hadyai airports last night.

Initial reports said that they'll reopen this morning so I could still catch my flight. Then around midnight last night, we heard that it might be closed for Saturday and Sunday. So my plans were all cancelled. I was to stay at home.

Around 10am this morning, my mom calls up saying that the airport has apparently reopen so I may be able to catch the 12.45pm flight. A frantic dash to the airport to see if I can make it, only to find that the 12.45pm flight was still cancelled and the next one is at 8pm, which is really a waste of my time since the flight back is tomorrow.

And where is the travel agent all this time? We'd book it through my mom's usual agent but he didnt go this time. Instead, some stupid woman named Lynette was the guide and she wasn't the least bothered to help. She didn't inform Goon (our usual guy) about the whole thing.

So when I called him this morning, he didn't even know that the airport was closed. But at least he rushed to the LCCT to meet and help me check. We both had tried calling AirAsia's hotlines but couldn't get through.

Mom's apparently really upset with the Lynette woman as well over other parts of the tour arrangements that she screwed up. I have yet to meet her but from now on, I'm either never using Goon's agency again or I'll request that I never have her as my guide.

So anyway, enough of whining. There is nothing I can do now (except maybe demand that they take the first flight back tomorrow).

This is not my first failed attempt at going to Phuket. 4 years ago, we were supposed to go there. My parents had been there for some conference and both said it was very nice. Wanted to take us all there but waited until my Christmas holidays.

Somehow, we changed our minds almost at the last minute and went to Japan instead (of which we have absolutely no regrets cos that turned out to be one of the BEST holidays we've had).

We were really lucky because, if we didnt switch to Japan, we would have been among the crowds on Patong Beach when the tsunami struck on Boxing Day 2004.

So there. I think Phuket and I are just not meant to be. I dont intend to ever make any plans to visit there again. What's the point, it's not like it has the best beaches? I'm happy heading to Bali or Krabi or even locally - Redang, Tioman, Langkawi.

Rommel's trying to appease me by suggesting a Bali holiday during the Deepavali break. We'll see..

And so for my birthday weekend, I shall be out partying with Tracy and Kharlene. It's been a while since I've done an all-girl night about town. Right now, I'm going to catch up on something I've been lacking for the past year = SLEEP. Good night.

1 comments:

Lionel Lau + Chris Low said...

Hi Pet,
Life is uncertain...go to John wine Cellar and Uncork one to celabrate national day!

We can help to choose a good one?
Cheers!
Chris Low